This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.553, Koran
This horizontal-format manuscript on parchment is an illuminated fragment of the Qur'an, containing portions of chapters 4 (Sūrat al-nisāʾ), 6 (Sūrat al-anʿām), 7 (Sūrat al-aʿrāf), and 10 (Sūrat Yūnus). The fragment probably dates to the third century AH / ninth CE. The text is written in an Early Abbasid (Kufic) script in dark brown ink and vocalized with red and green dots. Verse markers in the shape of a stylized letter hā' and rosettes indicate groups of five and ten verses. The text is framed by later red, blue, and gold framing lines and a polychrome and gold floral border. The black blind-tooled leather binding with central lobed, pointed oval and pendants is attributable to the thirteenth century AH / nineteenth CE.
3rd century AH / 9th CE
Central Arab lands
The primary language in this manuscript is Arabic.
Comments: Contains a number of narrow stubs
24.0 cm wide by 16.0 cm high
18.0 cm wide by 11.5 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 14
- Later framing lines in red, blue, and gold that probably date to the thirteenth century AH / nineteenth CE
- Title: al-Qurʾān
- Incipit: لقوم يعلمون وهو الذى انشاكم من نفس واحدة ...
- Text note: Contains chapters 6 (Sūrat al-anʿām), end of verse 97 through verse 145 and verses 152-158 (fols. 3a-9b); 10 (Sūrat Yūnus), verses 81-91 (fol. 10a-b); 6 (Sūrat al-anʿām), verses 145-151 (fol. 11a-b); 7 (Sūrat al-aʿrāf), verses 14-81 (fols. 12a-19b); 10 (Sūrat Yūnus), verses 23-39 (fols. 20a-21b); 4 (Sūrat al-nisāʾ), verses 93-99 (fol. 22a-b); and 10 (Sūrat Yūnus), verses 91-102 (fol. 23a-b)
- Hand note: Written in Early Abbasid (Kufic) script vocalized with red and green dots; no letter-pointing
- Decoration note: Verse markers in the shape of a stylized letter hā' and rosettes indicating groups of five and ten verses; later framing lines in red, blue, and gold and a polychrome and gold floral border that probably dates to the thirteenth century AH / nineteenth CE
The binding is not original.
Probably thirteenth century AH / nineteenth CE; black blind-tooled leather (without flap); central lobed, pointed oval and pendants; pastedowns of colored paper
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Copy editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.