This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.621, The orchard (Bustan)
The orchard (Bustan)
Vernacular: كتاب بوستان
Authority name: Saʿdī
As-written name: Musharrif al-Dīn ibn Muṣliḥ Saʿdī Shīrāzī
Name, in vernacular: مشرف الدين بن مصلح سعدي شيرازي
Note: Author dates preferred by cataloger: d. 691 AH / 1292 CE
This is an illuminated and illustrated manuscript of the Būstān (The garden or The orchard) by the Persian poet Sa‘dī (d. 691 AH / 1292 CE). It dates to the tenth century AH / sixteenth CE and was produced in Iran. The text is written in black nasta‘līq script with gold chapter headings on cream and pink tinted paper. The codex opens with an illuminated titlepiece with the author's name (fol. 2b), and there are three illustrations (fols. 13a, 39a, and 92a). The lacquer binding is decorated with polychrome floral motifs. Its doublures have blue filigree work in the central ovals and cornerpieces. It is attributable to the tenth century AH / sixteenth CE and may be original to the manuscript.
10th century AH / 16th CE
Literary -- Poetry
The primary language in this manuscript is Persian.
Cream and pink tinted laid paper
Catchwords: Written on versos
16.0 cm wide by 27.0 cm high
7.0 cm wide by 18.5 cm high
- Columns: 2
- Ruled lines: 16
- Framing lines in blue, gold, and black
- Title: Kitāb-i būstān
- Author: Saʿdī
- Incipit: بنام خداوندجان افرين...
- Hand note: Written in black nastaʿlīq script with gold chapter headings
- Decoration note: Three illustrations (fols. 13a, 39a, and 92a); illuminated titlepiece with author's name, inscribed Kitāb-i būstān-i Shaykh-i Saʿdī, in gold tawqīʿ script (fol. 2b); framing lines in blue, gold, and black
Upper board outside:
- Title: Binding
- Form: Binding
- Label: This lacquer binding is decorated with polychrome floral motifs. It probably dates to the tenth century AH / sixteenth CE.
- Title: Incipit page with illuminated titlepiece
- Form: Incipit; titlepiece
- Label: This incipit page has an illuminated titlepiece inscribed Kitāb-i būstān-i Shaykh-i Saʿdī in gold tawqīʿ script.
The binding is original.
Attributable to the tenth century AH / sixteenth CE; lacquer (with flap); polychrome floral motifs on a black ground; doublures with blue filigree work in central ovals and cornerpieces
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Richard, Francis. Catalogue des manuscrits persans. (Paris: Bibliothèque nationale, 1989), no.147.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.