This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.630, Collection of poems (divan)
Collection of poems (divan)
Vernacular: ديوان حافظ
Authority name: Ḥāfiẓ, 14th cent.
As-written name: Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Ḥāfiz al-Shīrāzī
Name, in vernacular: شمس الدين محمد حافظ الشيرازي
Note: Author dates preferred by cataloger: fl. 8th century AH / 14th CE
This is an illuminated copy of the collection of poems (dīvān) by Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Ḥāfiz al-Shīrāzī (fl. eighth century AH / fourteenth CE). The manuscript is written in black nastaʿlīq script by ʿAlī Qulī Barrāk (?) and dated Shaʿbān 966 AH / 1559 CE. The text opens with an illuminated incipit with titlepiece inscribed: Dīvān-i Khvājah Ḥāfiẓ Shīrāzī ʿalayhi al-raḥmah (fol. 1b). The text of the incipit and the facing page (fols. 1b-2a) has gilt interlinear decoration. The dark brown leather binding, which is original to the manuscript, is panel-stamped in relief with a central lobed medallion with pendants and an allover floral and vine decoration. The doublures of red-brown leather have a central medallion, pendants, and cornerpieces in leather filigree on a blue ground.
18 Shaʿbān 966 AH / 1559 CE
As-written name: ʿAlī Qulī ibn Qadr ibn Nūr[...] Barrāk [?]
Name, in vernacular: علي قلي بن قدر بن نور[...] براك [?]
Literary -- Poetry
The primary language in this manuscript is Persian.
- Transliteration: tammat al-kitāb bi-ʿawn Allāh al-Malik al-Wahhāb dar tarīkh 18 /1/ shahr Shaʿbān al-Muʿaẓẓzam sanah 966 ʿalá yad al-faqīr al-ḥaqīr aḍʿaf /2/ ʿibād [A]llāh ilá raḥmat Allāh ʿAlī Qulī bn Qadr bn Nūr[...] Barrāk [?] /3/ gharīq-i raḥmat-i kasī bād kih kātib rā bih al-ḥamdī kunad yād /4/ tammat /5/ alif [=Allāh] mīm [=Muḥammad] /6/ ʿayn [=ʿAlī] /7/
- Comment: In Arabic and Persian; gives name of scribe and date of copying
Cream-colored laid paper
Last folio a flyleaf; text ends on fol. 187a
Catchwords: Written obliquely on versos
15.5 cm wide by 26.0 cm high
7.5 cm wide by 14.5 cm high
- Columns: 2
- Ruled lines: 14
- Framing lines in blue, gold, and black
- Title: Dīvān-i Ḥāfiẓ
- Author: Ḥāfiẓ, 14th cent.
- Scribe: ʿAlī Qulī ibn Qadr ibn Nūr[...] Barrāk [?]
- Incipit: الا يا ايها الساقى ادر كاسا وناولها...
- Hand note: Written in nastaʿlīq script in black ink
- Decoration note: Incipit with illuminated titlepiece and interlinear gilt and polychrome floral decoration (fol. 1b); chapter headings in blue, red, and gold supplied at the beginning (up to fol. 7b); framing lines in blue, gold, and black
Upper board outside:
- Title: Binding
- Form: Binding
- Label: This dark brown leather binding with flap is original to the manuscript, which is dated Shaʿbān 966 AH / 1559 CE. The decoration consists of a gold-brushed, panel-stamped central lobed medallion with pendants and an allover floral and vine decoration. There is a wide outer frame surrounded by narrow, gold-painted outer frames.
Upper board inside:
- Title: Doublure
- Form: Doublure
- Label: The doublures of this manuscript are red-brown leather decorated with a central medallion, pendants, and cornerpieces in leather filigree on a blue ground.
- Title: Incipit page with titlepiece
- Form: Incipit; titlepiece
- Label: This incipit page is inscribed with the title of the work and the author's name: Dīvān-i Khvājah Ḥāfiẓ Shīrāzī ʿalayhi al-raḥmah. The gilt medallion with inscription and blue and gilt ground is decorated with polychrome vine and floral motifs. The text area has interlinear gilt decoration, also with polychrome floral motifs. The framing lines are in blue, gold, and black.
The binding is original.
Dark brown leather (with flap) with gold-brushed central panel and frames panel-stamped in relief; central panel with lobed medallion and pendants and an allover floral and vine decoration; doublures of red-brown leather with a central medallion, pendants, and cornerpieces in leather filigree on a blue ground
Erased bequest (waqf) seal and statement, probably of SultanʿUthmān Khān, signed by [Ibrāhīm] Ḥanīf, inspector of awqāf, and the shelfmarks 3815 and 3795 (crossed out) (fol. 1a)
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Richard, Francis. Catalogue des manuscrits persans. (Paris: Bibliothèque nationale, 1989) nos. 244, 270-4, 318; 2: 326-8.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.