This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.679, Two leaves depicting the Prophet Muhammad, Ali, and his sons Hasan and Husayn
Two leaves depicting the Prophet Muhammad, Ali, and his sons Hasan and Husayn
These two leaves are Ottoman Turkish illustrations. One depicts the Prophet Muhammad praying at the Kaʿbah, and the other depicts the Prophet Muhammad, ʿAlī, and his young sons Ḥasan and Ḥusayn. The illustrations were executed in the eleventh century AH / seventeenth CE. They are presently mounted on the first and last leaves of an illuminated manuscript copied in nastaʿlīq script in 798 AH / 1396 CE by Abū Saʿīd al-Ḥusaynī.
11th century AH / 17th CE
The primary language in this manuscript is Persian.
15.0 cm wide by 25.0 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 12
- Title: The Prophet Muhammad, Ali, and his sons Hasan and Husayn
- Hand note: Written in nastaʿlīq script
- Decoration note: Two illustrations mounted on the first and last leaves of an illuminated manuscript with a colophon written in nastaʿlīq script giving the scribe’s name as Abū Saʿīd al-Ḥusaynī and the date of copying as the end of Rabīʿ II 798 AH / 1396 CE.
- Title: Text page with colophon
- Form: Text page; colophon
- Label: This is the back of an illustration of the Prophet Muhammad praying at the Kaʿbah from the eleventh century AH / seventeenth CE. It is an illuminated text page written in nastaʿlīq script with a colophon dated 798 AH / 1396 CE by Abū Saʿīd al-Ḥusaynī.
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Renard, John, ed. Windows on the House of Islam: Muslim Sources on Spirituality and Religious Life. (Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press, 1998), 118; fig. 22.
Milstein, Rachel. Miniature Painting in Ottoman Baghdad. (Costa Mesa, CA: Mazdâ, 1990), 114; plate 43.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.